Paw Press

25th Year of Glittering Lights in Glendale

The Planning Season Runs Year-Round for Glendale Parks and Recreation

Families walk around the many glittering trees at the Glendale Glitters Spectacular Weekend on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017, at Murphy Park in downtown Glendale, Arizona. 
Photo taken by: Carlos Salcedo with the Arizona Republic. No copyright infringement is intended.

Families walk around the many glittering trees at the Glendale Glitters Spectacular Weekend on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017, at Murphy Park in downtown Glendale, Arizona. Photo taken by: Carlos Salcedo with the Arizona Republic. No copyright infringement is intended.

Grace Peserik, Kiana Garcia, and Kayla Sabala

Every year, 1.5 million lights glitter across Historic Downtown Glendale for the Christmas season, and this year is no different.

While the event may have opened on November 23rd, 2018, the planning began many months prior. Heidi Barriga, the Glendale Parks and Recreation Coordinator stated, “Planning starts as soon as the season ends.” After one Glendale Glitters season ends, the planning for the next begins. They start contacting vendors as early as June of that year. And July marks the start of holiday light installation

In order to ensure the Glendale Glitter lights are ready for action, Barriga explains that they have “Four full time staff in the Special Events Division, but it takes [many] more [people] than that.” They use the help of, “Numerous volunteers that come out to work the information booth and beverage tent,” and many City of Glendale employees. People that are in anything from the Events Department to the Building Safety Department and many others all work together to help the event go smoothly.

The first Glendale Glitters was started by Mayor Scruggs, 25 years ago. The opening weekend alone usually has 75,000-80,000 people in attendance. Barriga herself is among those attendees. Her favorite part of going to the event is getting to, “Watch all the children dance and smile at all the lights.” However, Barriga says that the best part about working with Glendale Glitters is, “Bringing happiness to the families in downtown.”

Glendale Glitters is a Christmas tradition for many families across the valley. It is a place for family and friends to come together and enjoy a Holiday gathering. Barriga says, “The magical lights in Murphy Park help bring the Holiday spirit.”

About the Writers
Grace Peserik, Community News Reporter

My favorite part of reporting is the actual writing of the articles. Writing happens to be my favorite thing to do with my free time.

Kiana Garcia, Community News Reporter

To me being a reporter is discovering every angle of a topic to cover it all as a story. A personal hobby of mine is reading and writing, which goes hand...

Kayla Sabala, Community News Reporter

I really like learning new things, meeting new people, and working with a team. My hobbies are running, reading, comics, and watching movies. I love hanging...