Paw Press

Holiday Treats for Everyone to Enjoy!

Christmas Crack Recipe (crazylittleprojects.com) ~ No copyright infringement is intended.

Christmas time is here, time for fun and time for delicious Christmas treats. The holidays are amazing for many reasons like, spending time with family, receiving presents and eating Christmas-themed sweets. With Winter Break around the corner and free time on students’ hands, why not make desserts for the holidays? So, here’s a list of four treats (from crazylittleprojects.com) you can make at home!

Christmas Crack: A sweet and salty saltine cracker toffee.

Ingredients:

50 saltine crackers

2 sticks salted butter

1 cup soft light brown sugar

2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 to 1 cup M&M’s

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray and then line the pan with saltine crackers.

2. Place the butter and sugar in a medium sized pot over low medium-low heat. Stir until the butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Stir constantly.

3. Once it’s nice and bubbly and changed to more of a caramel color, remove pan from heat and pour evenly over saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife… however it doesn’t have to be perfect. Try to move fast during this part so the toffee doesn’t harden.

4. Place pan in the oven and bake for 7-9 minutes. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.

5. Remove pan from and allow to cool slightly. Melt the chocolate and then pour over the top with a spatula. Sprinkle M&M’s (or nuts) on top and then place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Once chocolate has hardened break pieces off the foil and in an container. It will stay fresh for 1 – 2 week

Cornflake Christmas Wreath: Cornflake cereal marshmallow treat.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1 (10-ounce) package marshmallows

1 1/4 teaspoons green food coloring

4 1/2 cups Cornflake cereal

Red Hots or mini red M&Ms

Instructions:

1. Melt butter in a large pot. Add marshmallows and stir until melted.

2. Stir in food coloring.

3. Stir in cereal.

4. Working quickly, use a greased 1/4 cup measuring cup to dump the cornflake mixture in mounds on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use your fingers (grease them well) to form the mounds into wreath shapes.

5. Decorate with red M&Ms before they set.

6. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies: A fudge brownie with peppermint frosting, chocolate ganache, and crushed candy cane.

Ingredients:

1 ¼ cups flour

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter

4 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar

¼ cup (4 tablespoons) butter, softened

1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract

1 ½ tablespoons milk

Red food coloring, 1 to 2 drops

6 ounces (about 1 cup) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips

6 tablespoons butter

½ – 1 cup crushed candy canes

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350˚. Line a 9×13 inch pan with foil. Be sure to extend the foil over the edge by one inch. Spray with nonstick cooking spray lightly. Set aside.

2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. Chop the baking squares and butter into chunks and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until just melted and smooth. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.

4. In a stand mixer or with electric beaters, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 2 minutes. While mixer is running, slowly add the melted chocolate and beat to combine. With the mixer,

on low speed, gradually add flour mixture and mix just until combined. Pour into prepared 9×13 pan.

5. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick poked in the center comes out mostly clean. When brownies are done, cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, put the brownies in the fridge to chill.

6. Combine all frosting ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. Add more milk a teaspoon at a time if needed. Spread evenly over chilled brownies and place back in the fridge to chill again while doing the final step.

7. Place chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until just melted and smooth. Set aside to cool for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then quickly spread on top of brownies.

Chocolate Sugar Cookies: Chocolate cookies with a sweet topping of sugar covered icing.

Ingredients:

1¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

¾ teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature

1¾ cups granulated sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cooking spray

2 cups confectioners’ sugar

2 tablespoons meringue powder

Coarse sugar for decorating

Instructions:

1. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat until creamy, about 2 more minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat until just incorporated, about 2 minutes.

2. Divide dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; form into disks. Wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.

3. Roll out dough between floured sheets of parchment paper until about ¼ inch thick. Chill 2 more hours.

4. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 350˚. Mist 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Cut dough into shapes; gather scraps and reroll once to cut more cookies. Arrange 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, switching the pans halfway through, until set, about 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

5. Make the icing: Beat the confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder and 3 to 4 tablespoons of water in a bowl with a mixer on high speed until smooth and thick. Transfer to a reseal able bag and snip a small corner. Pipe onto the cookies; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Let sit for 30 minutes.

About the Writers
Ethan L. Kessler, Assistant Editor

I enjoy the collection of information to write an article, whether it is interviewing or researching. I am a Spider-Man enthusiast and a hobby of mine...

Andrew Mowrey, Arts and Life Reporter

I like being able to write about restaurants and describing to the reader what my experiences were like. Hobbies of mine include listening to music and...