Kellis Band Director Reflects

Highlights and Challenges of Building a Band Program

Nathan Garrison, Band Director, has built a strong foundation and continues to lead and inspire.

Andrew Mowrey

Andrew Mowrey and Areli Sedano

The Raymond S. Kellis Marching Corps had an eventful season with wonderful festivals. At the end of the season, the band director, Nathan Garrison, was asked multiple questions surrounding the concept of band and his history of being a band director.

After being asked about who had inspired him to become a band director, he stated, “So there are two people I kind of look back at. They are Stewart Bailey, my high school band teacher, and Eddie Guana, who was my elementary band teacher. They both clearly loved teaching music to the youth and their passion for it drew me in.”

Being inspired by these two teachers have made him a wonderful, and admirable band teacher. It is easy to tell that his students look up to him for all of the great work he has done.

Garrison was then asked about what his favorite show was and what their highest ranking had been. He said that the band had received a superior ranking in the years 2007 and 2008. But with all of the shows he had directed, he said, “My favorite show is probably Thoughtcrime, based on the book 1984 by George Orwell, because they were able to direct a really complex story and the way the crowd reacted, showed they were successful.”

Throughout his years of directing, audiences and judges have been able to tell that the band is very successful just by the way they execute their pieces and perform their shows’ stories.

Garrison is a highly respected band director with 21-years of directing experience. Garrison stated that his biggest challenge was when Kellis had first opened and he had to build the program up with just freshmen. Garrison and his students have worked hard at building a strong foundation for the marching band. Kellis’ band is clearly unmatched and very skilled. Garrison has done an amazing job at creating such a strong family within the marching band.