Paw Press

• December 10Unified basketball game will air on Wed., December 19th, during the 7am-10am (ET) SportsCenter on ESPN2!!

• December 6December 19th and 20th-Final Exam Schedule

• November 29Winter spirit week is Dec. 3rd-7th. The theme is “Zero Degrees” for the week.

Kellis Band Director Reflects

Highlights and Challenges of Building a Band Program

Nathan Garrison, Band Director, has built a strong foundation and continues to lead and inspire.

Andrew Mowrey

Andrew Mowrey and Areli Sedano

The Raymond S. Kellis Marching Corps had an eventful season with wonderful festivals. At the end of the season, the band director, Nathan Garrison, was asked multiple questions surrounding the concept of band and his history of being a band director.

After being asked about who had inspired him to become a band director, he stated, “So there are two people I kind of look back at. They are Stewart Bailey, my high school band teacher, and Eddie Guana, who was my elementary band teacher. They both clearly loved teaching music to the youth and their passion for it drew me in.”

Being inspired by these two teachers have made him a wonderful, and admirable band teacher. It is easy to tell that his students look up to him for all of the great work he has done.

Garrison was then asked about what his favorite show was and what their highest ranking had been. He said that the band had received a superior ranking in the years 2007 and 2008. But with all of the shows he had directed, he said, “My favorite show is probably Thoughtcrime, based on the book 1984 by George Orwell, because they were able to direct a really complex story and the way the crowd reacted, showed they were successful.”

Throughout his years of directing, audiences and judges have been able to tell that the band is very successful just by the way they execute their pieces and perform their shows’ stories.

Garrison is a highly respected band director with 21-years of directing experience. Garrison stated that his biggest challenge was when Kellis had first opened and he had to build the program up with just freshmen. Garrison and his students have worked hard at building a strong foundation for the marching band. Kellis’ band is clearly unmatched and very skilled. Garrison has done an amazing job at creating such a strong family within the marching band.

About the Contributors
Andrew Mowrey, Arts and Life Reporter

I like being able to write about restaurants and describing to the reader what my experiences were like. Hobbies of mine include listening to music and...

Areli Sedano, Arts and Life Reporter

I enjoy hearing about others opinions and their interests, but during my free time, I enjoy kicking back and chilling.