Paw Press

Electives at Kellis

So Many Choices! Something for everyone.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Electives at Kellis

Mark Rituper with his 2nd Hour P.E. class.

Mia Lucas and Emely Montoya

Raymond S. Kellis has a variety of electives for students to take. Some of these electives are: 

Susan Kiefhaber signing outside her classroom.

American Sign Language, Susan Kiefhaber 

American Sign Language is the first class in the series. There are three that follow – two of which are honors classes. In this class, the student learns deaf culture, grammar of sign language, and vocabulary. They also have drills, activities, and stories which makes the class more “fun.” This class has helped students communicate with deaf customers who go into their place of work, along with many other communication situations. This class is recommended for anyone and everyone. 

Art, Julie Flaherty 

Art I is the first class, there are three other classes students can take afterwards. In this class, students explore different artists, styles, mediums, techniques, elements, and principles as they are the building blocks in which the world creates and evaluates art. This class helps students learn both how to make art, appreciate art, and to overall appreciate the simple thing. I would recommend this class to all students, whether they are experienced in art or not.  

Beginning Dance Ashley David-Watkins 

Ashley David-Watkins in the Kellis dance studio.

Beginning Dance is the first class that students can take in a series of dance classes. There are three classes that follow:  Advanced Dance and Performance Dance. It is the fundamental of everything. The students learn the basics of jazz, modern and ballet. Each semester the students create two dances for the dance concert and then they are required to do a three-part final-performance, written and multiple choice. Dance helps and teaches a student confidence and it expands their creative abilities. This class is recommended for everyone. 

Ali Walsvick outside her class.

Criminal JusticeAli Walsvick 

Criminal Justice is the first level of a multi-step program, then there is Law Enforcement I, Law Enforcement II, and Law in American Society. This class is a part of the dual enrollment program, so you can earn college credit, if you end up taking Law Enforcement. In the class, the students learn about the different types of laws, criminal civil, how the criminal justice system works, and they study prisons, police, etc. This class is a beneficial class to take because it helps the student see if this is something they want to pursue in the future or if it’s something that they just want to take in because based on what they saw on T.V. and because it seems “cool.” This class is recommended for students who want to be there and are interested in the content. 

Intro to Culinary, Frances O’Leary 

Frances O’Leary teaching her class.

Culinary is the first class that the students take, then there is Creative Foods, Professional Cooking, and Commercial Baking. It is an intro to all the other Culinary classes, so the students learn the basics, like the safety and sanitation required, where things are located in the kitchen, the measurements and the students learn some basic recipes. This class is very helpful because students who decide to go into the cooking profession will have some prior knowledge about cooking that will help them, and for students who do not, they learn how to cook food for themselves. This class is recommended for everyone, especially those who enjoy cooking. 

PE, Mark Rutiper and Jessica Cobos 

PE is a personal fitness class and it is a required class for graduation. In this class, the students play a sports, like basketball, volleyball, tennis, etc., and they learn about the human body. This class teaches students to learn valuable knowledge regarding health and physical fitness that they can use to help their future. This class is recommended for every student, and it is mandatory, unless the student is taking ROTC, which is a class that prepares kids for the military, 

Aaron Bujan outside his class.

Photo Aaron Bujan 

Photo I is the first class out of the four, Photo I, II, III, IV. It introduces the students to the foundations of photography, traditional and digital. The students are taught how to compose, focus, and how to form a good picture. This helps them process pictures and related activities. Bujan tries to relate everything back to the real world with examples and more. This class is recommended for anyone who wants to learn about photography. 

Production Design and Theatre Arts Molly Triveline 

Molly Triveline having a blast.

Production Design is a starter class, then there’s Production Design II, Production Design III, and Production Design IV. This class is one side of theatre and Theatre Arts is the other. Production Design focuses more on the behind the scenes of everything. In this class, the students learn all the basics, like building the stage, setting up lights, etc. This class helps give students an understanding and appreciation for everything that goes on behind the scenes. Also, Production Design gives students life skills that will benefit them in the future, like budgeting. This class is recommended for everyone. 

Theatre Arts is a beginning class, then there is Theatre Arts II, Theatre Arts III and Theatre Arts IV. This is one side of Theatre, while Production Design is the other. Theatre Arts is the acting side of it all. Theatre Arts helps build student confidence and helps break people out of their shell. This class is recommended for everyone, especially people who want to step outside their comfort zone. 

Lacey Perdomo at the track during her class.

Weight Training Lacey Perdomo 

Weight Training is a personal fitness class. It provides students a diverse way of training their body. Weight Training helps students do something for themselves, and teaches them that if they want to do something then they need to commit to it and put in hard work to see the results. This class is recommended for all students, not just for athletes. 

About the Writers
Mia Lucas, Kellis News Reporter

I like interviewing people and getting to know the work that went behind certain things. In my free time I like to hang out with my friends and watch...

Emely Montoya, Kellis News Reporter

I enjoy coming up with ideas for the interviews and meeting new people. In my free time I enjoy reading and writing